POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Toroidal Weirdness (640kbu) MPEG-I : Re: Toroidal Weirdness (640kbu) MPEG-I Server Time
19 Jul 2024 13:29:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Toroidal Weirdness (640kbu) MPEG-I
From: Mark Hanford
Date: 28 Oct 2002 13:11:12
Message: <3dbd7dc0$1@news.povray.org>
"Greg M. Johnson" <gregj:-)565### [at] aolcom> wrote in message
> "Mark Hanford" <mar### [at] theinternetcom> wrote in message
> > I might have a go at implementing a version of the cubic space,
but
> > this causes the calculation time to increase HUGELY.  It would
create
> > some great patterns, though ;)
> >

> I tried it in 3d but the cells kept marching in one direction.  I
know that
> this can happen in 2d but I couldn't swear that this wasn't a coding
error
> due to mislabeling of all the nearest neighbors...

I think I might give it a go, just for the exercise.  My current algo
uses the process similar to
CellCount = CellCount+(Cell1=1)
CellCount = CellCount+(Cell2=1)
CellCount = CellCount+(Cell8=1)

I shudder to think what my current strategy would look under a 26
neighbour system.  Especially as each of the above checks also sees if
it should wrap the edges with
"If LeftEdgeKills then skip Else CellCount=CellCount+(Cell1=1)"
for all the Row=0,Col=0 cells...

I might have to do some real work, and look at other "proper"
implementations of these things.  So far I've kind of just made it up
as I went along. Oh, and if anyone's got a new P4-2.8GHz spare, hand
it over...

--
Mark Hanford

Putting POV code on the web? Make it look pretty with POV2HTML...
http://www.hanfordonline.co.uk/povray