POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Toroidal Weirdness (640kbu) MPEG-I : Toroidal Weirdness (640kbu) MPEG-I Server Time
19 Jul 2024 13:28:53 EDT (-0400)
  Toroidal Weirdness (640kbu) MPEG-I
From: Mark Hanford
Date: 27 Oct 2002 07:51:51
Message: <3dbbe167@news.povray.org>
Despite my claim that I'd stop this sillyness with cellular sims, I
couldn't help fiddling a bit more.

Version 1.4 of my alife include now correctly handles toroidal
configurations.  This is where the top edge wraps around to the
bottom, and the left edge wraps to the right (and the reverse too).

This seemed to cry out for a visual representation...

In this animation, a simple and well-known configuration where four
Light-Weight Space-Ships fly in a straight line leaving a trail of
walkers behind them.  Somehow I've managed to pick a combination of
universe size that causes the walkers to just miss the LWSS's and each
other for quite a while.  In the end however, the inevitable occurrs
and chaos reigns supreme...

The include and some other, and higher quality, animations are on my
website.

For the keen, I do now have a converter to take v1.05 .lif files and
turn them into files compatible with my include, it will also generate
all the data files for an entire animation.  The simple app is not
really ready to be released into the wild, but I can convert any files
people might want or send them the app...

--
Mark Hanford

Putting POV code on the web? Make it look pretty with POV2HTML...
http://www.hanfordonline.co.uk/povray

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'LightningTorus0256kbps.mpg' (645 KB)