POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : New Slime-POV feature: function warps : Re: New Slime-POV feature: function warps Server Time
14 Aug 2024 11:17:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New Slime-POV feature: function warps
From: Slime
Date: 26 Oct 2002 20:01:30
Message: <3dbb2cda@news.povray.org>
> IMO a function warp should have a somewhat different functionality, it
> should work like a (type 0) displace warp in megapov.  This means it would
> displace the pattern in the direction defined by the function(s).

> While your version might be quite intuitive for
> mapping purposes it's quite a bit more difficult to handle for random
> functions like in your last sample.

Well, that was the original intent: mapping. However, it could be used for
displacement as follows:

#declare displacementmap = pigment {
}
#declare displacementamount = 3;
warp {
    function{x+displacementmap(x,y,z).red*displacementamount }
    function{y+displacementmap(x,y,z).green*displacementamount }
    function{z+displacementmap(x,y,z).blue*displacementamount }
}

Unless I'm misunderstanding how the displacement maps work.

> Megapov had the very useful feature of displace warps and in 3.5 it would
> be logical to use functions but instead of three float functions i would
> rather use one vector function.

As the other Chris pointed out, POV-Ray doesn't support user defined vector
functions. If it did, that'd be great and I'd use them... but I'm not really
in the mood for implementing them right now =)

 - Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]