POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP: "Plasma Machine" [1 image, ~ 500KB] : Re: "Plasma Machine" [1 image, ~ 500KB] Server Time
14 Aug 2024 17:54:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Plasma Machine" [1 image, ~ 500KB]
From: Andrew Coppin
Date: 24 Oct 2002 15:27:27
Message: <3db8499f@news.povray.org>
> > Me I just like an excuse to make interesting images. Oh, and I got one
of
> > those plasma ball thingies at home. (Never did work out why the
streamers
> > are blue, but the terminals are pink...)
>
> Different temperatures and voltage potentials. The ball contains a
> mixture of gasses, some only ionize and glow at the central electrode.

I always wondered about that... And about how you can touch the thing
without frying yourself to a crisp ;-)

(Actually, I find that if I balance a metal object on top of the glass, I
can get little sparks to fly off it onto anything that's earthed... Burned
my finger doing that!)

Andrew.
[has too much free time]