POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sea WIP: advices about media are welcome! : Re: Sea WIP: advices about media are welcome! Server Time
14 Aug 2024 11:16:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sea WIP: advices about media are welcome!
From: Philippe Debar
Date: 24 Oct 2002 14:57:25
Message: <3db84295$1@news.povray.org>
"chaps" <cha### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> In this picture, I included my jelly fish model in a previous sea scene.
And
> it seems that the jelly fish media disappeared.
>
> Sea is a simple clear hollow box, including interior with IOR set to 1.31
> and an absobtion media.

Hollow object with media in a hollow object with media means the inner
object gets both medias inside.

See hollow2.pov in ./scenes/interior/media/

You can replace the third sphere with this code to clearly see the effect :

=== Begin sdl code ===
//
// Hollow, translucent sphere enclosed by media.
//

sphere {<29, 20, 0>, 25
 pigment { rgbt <1, 1, 1, 0.9> }
 finish {
  ambient 0.0
  diffuse 0.0
  phong 1.0
  phong_size 200
 }
 interior { ior 1.1 media{absorption 1 density{dents} }
 }
 hollow yes
}
=== End sdl code ===

The solution is to difference your sea object with an invisible clone of
your jellyfishes - beware of coincident surfaces...

I hope this helps.

Povingly,

Philippe