POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : How does parser.cpp/parstxtr.cpp work? : Re: How does parser.cpp/parstxtr.cpp work? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 06:18:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How does parser.cpp/parstxtr.cpp work?
From: Thomas Willhalm
Date: 23 Oct 2002 06:21:48
Message: <3db6783b@news.povray.org>
Jan Walzer wrote:

> Thomas Willhalm wrote:
>
>>>     I'm still getting confused with pointerstuff....
>>but if you need thm, they're useful. The better way is of course to
>>encapsulate them in a C++ class.
>
> please lemme 1st understand this C stuff ...

Then perhaps

P. Bothner und W-M Kaehler
Ohne C zu C++
Vieweg-Verlag
ISBN 3-528-05780-7

might offer a shortcut (but only in German AFAIK)

>>Thomas (still not thinking that hiding pointers like in Java is the right
>>way to go)
>
> They're not really hidden ... It's just the pointer-arithmetic which isn't
> allowed (IMHO for good reasons) and that all non-primitive types are given
> by reference ...

Some people keep saying that there aren't any pointers in Java...
Obviously you know better. If - as it seems - you know Java and German,
then my introduction to C++ on
http://www.inf.uni-konstanz.de/algo/lehre/skripte/
may also be of some help.

Thomas