POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another height field improvement : Re: Another height field improvement (another image) Server Time
14 Aug 2024 11:21:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another height field improvement (another image)
From: Slime
Date: 19 Oct 2002 18:15:20
Message: <3db1d978$1@news.povray.org>
> > (POV-Ray bases the normal of a vertex on the vertices diagonally across
from
> > it; I base it off of the vertices adjacent to it.)"
> I think that's what I talking about.

It might be. While I base the normals off of the adjacent vertices in smooth
type 2, the normal interpolation is still done in squares. That is, with a
smooth mesh, the normals of each triangle are interpolated between on that
triangle. With a smooth height field, the normals of every *pair* of
triangles are interpolated between. This somewhat creates a grid effect.
However, I did originally attempt to make it look more like a smooth mesh,
and decided in the end that the height field interpolation type actually
looked better. It works slightly differently, but in the end I think it
produces a smoother looking result.

 - Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]