POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another height field improvement : Re: Another height field improvement Server Time
14 Aug 2024 11:16:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another height field improvement
From: Slime
Date: 19 Oct 2002 17:05:15
Message: <3db1c90b$1@news.povray.org>
> smooth [0|1|2]

Heh, actually, I've already used this syntax to let the user choose between
POV-Ray 3.5's normal calculation (1) and a different type of normal
calculation that I came up with (2) which tends to look better overall.
(POV-Ray bases the normal of a vertex on the vertices diagonally across from
it; I base it off of the vertices adjacent to it.)

I thought of making this related to the 'smooth' keyword, but it probably
shouldn't be, IMO, since it's possible to use it without actually smoothing
anything.

> Since you are working on heightfields: One thing i wanted to try for some
> time (but what could possibly be quite difficult) is changing the
> heightfield code to calculate the normal vectors on the fly and not store
> them.  This would reduce memory use quite a lot and could therefore be
> useful for very large heightfields.

Hmm... not a bad idea. Syntax suggestions? *This* could be a part of the
smooth keyword... maybe

smooth [int[, int]]

the first int beging the smoothing type, and the second being the normal
calculation type.

 - Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]