POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another height field improvement : Another height field improvement Server Time
14 Aug 2024 11:17:49 EDT (-0400)
  Another height field improvement
From: Slime
Date: 19 Oct 2002 16:43:57
Message: <3db1c40d@news.povray.org>
Normally, the triangles in each "square" of a height field are always the
lower left and upper right of the square. I've implemented a
"smart_triangulation" keyword which makes POV-Ray choose which way to
triangulate the squares better, often creating a smoother result. An example
of both methods is attached to this post. When used with the smooth height
field bug fix and my shadow line fix, this creates an extremely smooth
height field.

I *think* there's only one more feature that I want to attempt before I
release this.

 - Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'height_field_normal_triangulation.jpg' (47 KB) Download 'height_field_smart_triangulation.jpg' (44 KB)

Preview of image 'height_field_normal_triangulation.jpg'
height_field_normal_triangulation.jpg

Preview of image 'height_field_smart_triangulation.jpg'
height_field_smart_triangulation.jpg