POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Shell-out to OS? : Re: Shell-out to OS? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 18:14:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shell-out to OS?
From: How Camp
Date: 17 Oct 2002 16:21:27
Message: <3daf1bc7$1@news.povray.org>
"Philippe Lhoste" <Phi### [at] GMXnet> wrote in message
news:Xns### [at] 204213191226...

> I tried on WinNT4 the following line:
> Pre_Scene_Command=D:\Programmes\USons\MicroWav.exe
> D:\Programmes\USons\BELL.WAV
>
> I hear the sound before the scene rendering... So basically, it is working
> fine, you should check your settings, etc.

Hmm.  I must be doing something very silly.  I've tried this on a win2k
machine, and now on my win98 machine, neither of which seem to function.
Here's my exact .INI file:

---

[Shell Test]
Width=320
Height=240
Antialias=Off

 Pre_Scene_Command=c:\windows\notepad.exe
 Pre_Scene_Return=F

---

So, I select the .INI file (clicking on the INI button and 'set, but don't
render'), and render my scene.  The scene file consists of nothing more than
the basic scene template - and it immediately renders without attempting to
load notepad.exe.

At first, I figured I had forgotten to allow POV the proper permissions to
shell to an external program (just as Warp wondered).  I have 'no
restrictions' set in the 'options --> Script I/O Restrictions' menu, as well
as 'Permit read/write in current directory' checked.  The 'disable starting
other programs' is NOT checked.

...Are there other settings I may have overlooked?

> I have put the first command as Post_Scene_Command and the second one as
> is, and it still works... Of course, you have to close the GUI before the
> rendering goes.

And this is the behavior I had hoped for.  So, once I find my mistake, I'll
be a happy camper.  Sorry for the newbie trouble.

- How