POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Shell-out to OS? : Re: Shell-out to OS? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 18:16:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shell-out to OS?
From: How Camp
Date: 15 Oct 2002 16:12:00
Message: <3dac7690@news.povray.org>
"hughes, b." <omn### [at] charternet> wrote in message

> Check for paths. For example, you should be able to call up Windows
> Notepad.exe but not a C:\Nowhere\Nopad.exe, so I think as long as there's
> valid path (and PATH variable is set) then it should work okay.

Hmm.  So I tried the following INI setting (on win2k):

Pre_Scene_Command=c:\WINNT\system32\notepad.exe

I've also checked the I/O options to make sure that 'disable starting other
programs' is not checked.

Alas, notepad.exe is not started, as I would expect.

> Pre_Scene_Return=F should signify to POV that if a shell-out
program/action
> fails that POV aborts also. You'd need to be sure that causes an error
code
> though or it wouldn't have an effect, I believe.

Really?  So, the output from the shell program must somehow generate the
proper error code for POV to understand?  The manual talks about returning a
non-zero codes, but not what they should be (other than POV generating 0, 1,
or 2 itself).

- How