POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Shell-out to OS? : Re: Shell-out to OS? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 18:16:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shell-out to OS?
From: hughes, b
Date: 15 Oct 2002 15:58:03
Message: <3dac734b@news.povray.org>
"How Camp" <kro### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message

> Pre_Scene_Command=foobar
> Pre_Scene_Return=F
>
> However, while the other settings in the INI file are read, nothing seems
> happen with these two lines.
>
> So my question is two-fold:
>
> 1) What silly mistake is preventing me from understanding the proper use
of
> these keywords.
> 2) What is the syntax to include in the INI file that allows an executable
> to run prior to parsing my scene?

Check for paths. For example, you should be able to call up Windows
Notepad.exe but not a C:\Nowhere\Nopad.exe, so I think as long as there's a
valid path (and PATH variable is set) then it should work okay.

Been a long time since I used INI for that. To use DOS commands you have to
run the command-line interpreter, which might be either command.com or
cmd.com.

Pre_Scene_Return=F should signify to POV that if a shell-out program/action
fails that POV aborts also. You'd need to be sure that causes an error code
though or it wouldn't have an effect, I believe.