POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Something holding up the works... : Re: Something holding up the works... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 00:15:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Something holding up the works...
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 15 Oct 2002 12:56:02
Message: <3dac48a2@news.povray.org>
Hm. Thinking about it and the example you gave,
I guess you are right, merge can't handle this case
scenario, which isn't too far fetched for the solution
I presented...

But if we make those parts slightly overlapping? I'm
not too sure about the bounding in this case, and the
evaluation of surfaces, but using CSG-difference/intersection
on some parts and adding other, untouched ones to
a merge might still be faster than cutting everything from
one big object. This might require some testing, though
I'm not in the mood to test that now. Someone else
perhaps? It seems that its not THAT important anyhow,
lets just stick to union{} for non-transparent objects
and breaking the CSG in parts then.

--
Tim Nikias
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde