POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Something holding up the works... : Re: Something holding up the works... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 00:19:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Something holding up the works...
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 14 Oct 2002 19:21:38
Message: <3dab5182@news.povray.org>

web.3dab05c494823da42b597c920@news.povray.org...
> Is there some built-in POV feature that would help me diagnose which
> elements of a scene are hogging all the render time?

Usually, hogging elements can be detected just by watching the pixel line go
over them. POV-Ray doesn't refresh the render for every pixel to save time,
but it's usually enough to click repeatedly on the bottom slider to see the
pixels appear one by one when it's really slow. The slow parts become
obvious then.

What makes them slow is impossible to tell without seeing the code, though.
If it's simple CSG with simple primitives, the culprit could be either
reflections, transparencies or an object with many complex pieces taken out
by difference. Just wild guesses of course.

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com