POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Something holding up the works... : Re: Something holding up the works... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 18:15:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Something holding up the works...
From: Johannes Dahlstrom
Date: 14 Oct 2002 16:48:34
Message: <3dab2da1@news.povray.org>
LibraryMan wrote:

> OK, as an example, here's what I get after commenting out area lights, sky
> sphere, and a not-very-complex wall object.  Is it typical to have the
> bounding box(es) take such a high percentage? (I really don't understand
> what I'm seeing here)

OK, let me see what we have here...

> Bicubic Patch                  1897457               0      0.00

Hmm... There's a bicubic patch somewhere in the scene, but it is not
visible at all: no intersection tests succeeded. It might be behind the
camera or something.

> Box                          398678261         1683150      0.42
> Cone/Cylinder                 30031777         2434654      8.11
> CSG Intersection             215095850         1551946      0.72
> CSG Merge                      1113026           18718      1.68
> CSG Union                    197475969          266424      0.13
> Torus                        589217202          120998      0.02
> Torus Bound                  589217202          151459      0.03

As you see, very few of the intersection tests with these types of objects
succeeded. For some reason, POV is doing a _lot_ of unnecessary work,
checking rays against complex objects, but failing to find intersection
points.

> Bounding Box                 271143478       269643947     99.45

This is also rather strange. You seem to have a very loose bounding, with
the actual objects taking up a very small part of the total volume of
bounding boxes. That's why almost every ray hits a bounding box, but when
POV then checks a ray against the objects inside the box, it fails.

Conclusion:
Most probably you have a complex CSG construct of which only a very small
part is actually visible. POV cannot calculate an effective bounding
solution to such an object, so it ends up making a lot of work in vain. If
you bounded your object manually with bounded_by { } and tried to get it as
tight as possible, the render speed would probably increase a lot.