POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Something holding up the works... : Re: Something holding up the works... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 18:13:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Something holding up the works...
From: hughes, b
Date: 14 Oct 2002 14:28:55
Message: <3dab0ce7@news.povray.org>
"LibraryMan" <mrm### [at] attnet> wrote in message
> Is there some built-in POV feature that would help me diagnose which
> elements of a scene are hogging all the render time?

Probably the easiest way is to use histogram output. Commenting out
individual parts of your scenes can get difficult if they are large or
complex.
Idea of the histogram image output is to look for lighter areas (of a
bitmap) which are where the most computation is taking place. Of course that
means you'll need to know what's where beforehand to campare unless it shows
readily enough. That's because sometimes the histogram can look rather
different from the regular render.

To use it, example here, put in the command line:

+W320 +H240 +HTS +HS32.24 +HNhisto.bmp

That will create a bitmap (PC's will make a BMP) named "histo" in the same
place as the POV file with block sizes of 1/10 the original image
resolution.
For info on all this do a search for histogram in the Doc. It's section
5.2.2.4.
--
Farewell,
Bob