POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Vermeer has finished... : Re: Vermeer has finished... Server Time
14 Aug 2024 22:17:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vermeer has finished...
From: Ive
Date: 7 Oct 2002 16:36:36
Message: <3da1f054@news.povray.org>
> You said the lighting is nog the same as in the original painting. Does this
> include the lack of reflections on the varnished woods? the cello and the
> mirrorframe are reflective, judging from the painting, however, your
> rendering doesn't show any of this. I would think that some reflection on
> the varnished wooden surfaces wood enhance this image...

Indeed you can see a very small amount of highlights on both, the viol and
the mirror frame, but you are right, it's not visible enough. And as the
image uses only radiosity, specular highlights do not work, so all is done
with blurred reflection, and a good amount for this was difficult to guess.
And as mentioned this is just a first test to get an overall impression, there is
still a lot of work with fine tuning.

And BTW the instrument on the floor is a viol or gambe, the cello was
not yet invented :)

> For the rest, all I can say is: "      " while I'm amazed...

thanks, but do not hold your breath too long...

> oh, one more thing. The cloth is stitched(?), right? In any case, I guess it
> is made of many small threads. Maybe you could bring some of that back with
> the technique developed and showed a while ago by Kedar Patil
> (http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/27430/)?

I have thought about this, but my guess: rendertime increases from days to years.
There are still those *natural* limitations for us render folks.

-Ive