POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP Wish (93 Kb) : RE: WIP Wish (93 Kb) Server Time
14 Aug 2024 13:24:46 EDT (-0400)
  RE: WIP Wish (93 Kb)
From: Txemi Jendrix
Date: 7 Oct 2002 14:51:27
Message: <3da1d7af@news.povray.org>

3da13ff7@news.povray.org...
> I like... both the album and your logo WIP.

Thanks, glad you like 'em ;-).

> Looking at the record I have here the label isn't like this and I thought
it
> was going to be when I went to check. Has two metallic robotic hands I
> guess. Maybe I have a different label from other albums, I think I bought
> this in the late 70's or early 80's. It's green, black, white, bit of
yellow
> too and it looks something like a line drawing or vector graphic.

Well, I have the spanish edition from 1975 (distributed by EMI-Odeon).
The logo here is also line drawing, but the hand on the left side is
something
like crystal or quartz (at least is something translucid 'cos you can see
some background zones) and the other one is metallic.
The hands in the inner circle of the vinil (?) are both the metallic ones,
but
my WIP is only for the sleeve logo.

> Ah ha, I did a little researching. There were stickers put on covers and
> lots of variation in the album art. One I saw was even printed on the
cover.
> http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PFArchives/DUSLP.htm
> I never knew there were so many changes done to album releases.

Thanks for the link, I never supposse there were so many different sleeves
designs for the same albums.

> One picture (printed cover one I think) has prongs or something at the
back
> of the metal hand, like some sort of connector.

It seems like cylinders, but maybe they are also "speed lines", to show that
the metallic hand is moving to catch the quartz one (I can see some long and
thin boxes in the fingers also).

>I'm not sure the marbling of
> your lucite-like hand is a good thing or bad thing. I like the look but
it's
> also distracting with the kind of shattered appearance it has. Well, just
> not like any of the WYWH logos I guess is why I say that.

It was the first try with a semitransparent texture with a marble color_map.
Maybe I have to scale it a bit, or maybe I'll end making it crystal.
This scene will never be as any of the logos we know.
I fear is almost impossible to make the same perspective (perhaps with
a matrix transformation and an orthographic camera, but I do not know
anything about matrices) 'cos it's line drawing and I'm not able to obtain
it.
I had an attempt to make the same logo when I was beggining with 3D,
using Simply3D (version 1.0!!!) back in 1997.
The image is at
http://www.txemijendrix.com/imagotro/otropage/14.html
just if you are curious.

> You asked about metal texture suggestions, reflection with some sort of
> surrounding environment might what it needs.

I'm gonna try it (maybe the same trick as in "surfing with the silver
surfer"
posted weeks ago).

Thanks for your comments.
Bye