POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Vermeer has finished... : Re: Vermeer has finished... Server Time
14 Aug 2024 15:21:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vermeer has finished...
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 7 Oct 2002 13:25:34
Message: <3da1c38e@news.povray.org>

3da07987@news.povray.org...

> All above mentioned does not appear with lower quality settings for
radiosity
> (e.g count 400, error_bound 0.8) and also not when using normal light
sources.

For the black spots, you could try a higher max_trace_level. That should do
it, but of course transparent material are always difficult to manage with
radiosity (you can also try loading a rad file created with the scene
without the transparent stuff).
The bright spots are perhaps a coincidence problem. Try to "sink" the window
frames slightly into the wall, at least it worked for me once.

Still, you've gone amazingly far in the recreation of the scene without
major visible problems... Bravo !

> What does this mean? Has Vermeer closed the window shades because he
preferred
> this kind of lighting for the room even if this means his canvas was lit
very poor?
> Or did he close the window shades, looked at the room, opened them to do
some
> brush strokes, closed them again...

The 3rd shades surely look as if they were closed (or draped). Actually this
is certainly the case in his other paintings.
http://gallery.euroweb.hu/art/v/vermeer/03b/23conce.jpg
http://gallery.euroweb.hu/art/v/vermeer/03c/25artpa.jpg
http://gallery.euroweb.hu/art/v/vermeer/02b/08offic.jpg
http://gallery.euroweb.hu/art/v/vermeer/03a/17lute.jpg

I don't think the lack of light was such a problem anyway. I guess that such
paintings took days to create, so it's not like he had only a few seconds to
"capture the moment". It's painting, not photography ! The "Art of painting"
image gives some hints about the creative use of draping (though it could be
said the drape was in fact imaginary and used only for dramatic purpose, as
in http://gallery.euroweb.hu/art/v/vermeer/04/33faith.jpg)

G.

--

http://www.oyonale.com