POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : underwater landscape latest wip [27kb] : Re: underwater landscape latest wip [27kb] Server Time
14 Aug 2024 13:15:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: underwater landscape latest wip [27kb]
From: Tom Melly
Date: 7 Oct 2002 11:02:16
Message: <3da1a1f8$1@news.povray.org>
"Wald" <arn### [at] n-o_s-p-a-magrkuleuvenacbe> wrote in message

> The lighting pattern that the water waves cause on the bottom sand,
> appear too uniform in this picture, IMHO. They seem too parallel, like
> a bunch of sine waves with the same period and amplitude. I notice
> some variation here and there, but the overall look is uniform to me.

Actually, the pattern you are seeing is the ocean floor (an iso-surface). I'm
not quite sure why the crest of each ridge gets highlighted quite so much,
although nor am I convinced that such lighting is unrealistic.

The caustics cast by the ocean surface are much subtler.

That aside, even the ocean floor probably needs a bit more turbulence than is
seen here. Thanks.