POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Escape! WIP (71+30 kbu) : Re: Escape! WIP (71+30 kbu) Server Time
14 Aug 2024 15:23:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Escape! WIP (71+30 kbu)
From: Mark Hanford
Date: 4 Oct 2002 20:25:42
Message: <3d9e3186@news.povray.org>
"IMBJR" <no### [at] spamhere> wrote in message
> On Fri, 4 Oct 2002 00:14:46 +0100, "Mark Hanford"
> <mar### [at] theinternetcom> wrote:
>
> >Hello, folks.
> >
> >I've just gotten around to creating a scene that I kind of like.
It
> >started off as an idea inspired by Greg's train-tracks, where I
wanted
> >loads of roads all over the place, and I stumbled across some
> >algorithms for creating mazes.  I naively Googled  for "maze
> >algorithm" and was soon myred in Kruskals, Aldus-Broders, the
> >difference between Bias, Run and River, and other strangeness, and
> >realised this could go too far!
> >So I stuck to the first algorithm I found, and build some macros
for
> >POVing it up into an image...
> >
> >Now I want to add some more poses for my escaping stickmen, and for
> >some reason I've made their torsos the same colour as the walls, so
> >they blend in a bit too well...  As you can see my lighting and
> >textures a bit simplistic, but I might leave them as they are for
now.

> >If anyone's curious about the maze maker, take a peek at my old
> >website www.sunmaster.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/povray (how's that for a
> >domain name!) where it can be seen in all it's glory.  All the
mazes

> >And if ANYONE suggests I animate the people running around and
> >escaping, I will throw all my toys out of my pram and scream.  It's
> >not going to happen.
> >
> >(btw, thats ~20,000 objects for a 25x25 maze)
>
> This is waht I like about POV - it ain't just a renderer - its a
whole
> visualisation tool.
Innit just

> PS. I'd like to see them runn ...
I've been trying, I have been working on getting my people moving, and
running/walking/standing/etc are possible, but the transition from a
walk to a run to a stand...

Generally, I've been having more trouble creating a maze-solving algo
than I did making a maze-building one.  I'm not sure if that's a
time-of-day problem or a total-lack-of-inspiration problem, but we'll
see.

Any help/clues greatfully received, (source on the website, and I'll
post in p.b.s-f if enough interest - as if)

--
Mark Hanford
www.hanfordonline.co.uk  (sorry about the frames, they're just until I