POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : cleaning source code from warnings troubles : Re: cleaning source code from warnings troubles Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:23:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: cleaning source code from warnings troubles
From: Warp
Date: 1 Oct 2002 21:14:36
Message: <3d9a487c@news.povray.org>
> No, I said a compiler should not warn about correct code

  As I have said earlier, you are constantly confusing warnings with
error messages.

  Please read my lips: A warning is not an error message.

  Do you understand what does that mean?

  Error messages are issued when the code is incorrect. An error message
stops the compilation.
  When the code is correct, but suspicious, a warning can be issued. A
warning does not stop the compilation.
  Do you understand the difference between these two things?

  So what you are saying is wrong: Warning *must* warn about correct code,
and correct code alone. If incorrect code would only generate a warning,
that would be wrong. Incorrect code must generate an error.

  You also seem to fail to understand *why* warnings exist in the first
place.

> Well, POV-Ray will not and cannot function as expected.  So yes, it should
> probably issue an error message...

  Wrong. If there is no media nor fog in the scene, POV-Ray can function
correctly and moreover *does* function correctly. There's nothing wrong
in putting the camera inside an object. It's not an error and thus issuing
an error would be wrong.
  The point is that it can have some side-effects which are unexpected if
the scene uses fog or media and thus the warning is relevant.