POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : cleaning source code from warnings troubles : Re: cleaning source code from warnings troubles Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:31:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: cleaning source code from warnings troubles
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 1 Oct 2002 15:50:14
Message: <3d99fc76$1@news.povray.org>
In article <3d99ceb2@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:

>> No, I just fail to see is how this can possible cause a problem if the value
>> never leaves or enters the program.  If you can demonstrate that this, which
>> is the only way it is even useful in POV-Ray, can cause any problem, please
>> go ahead.  But don't criticize code for something it isn't even doing.
>> Maybe you should check what the code is doing with it...
>
>   So what you are saying is that since POV-Ray does not use the multichar
> constants in the wrong way, then they should remove that warning from gcc?
>   Have you ever thought that POV-Ray is not the only program in the world?

No, I said a compiler should not warn about correct code, which can be found
in millions of other programs as well.  If some people don't know C well
enough they deserve to be burned by their own mistakes.  The compiler should
not help me with thinks I know by default.  I said this before, didn't I?

So please, please, please, stop twisting my words around to claim things
they neither say directly nor can possibly say indirectly between the lines.

>   When I deliberately put a camera inside a non-hollow object, POV-Ray still
> warns me about it, even though I am not doing anything wrong nor illegal.
> I still don't see how this warning makes POV-Ray broken.

Well, POV-Ray will not and cannot function as expected.  So yes, it should
probably issue an error message...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde