POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Tank [Image ~ 80KB] : Re: The Tank [Image ~ 80KB] Server Time
14 Aug 2024 17:57:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Tank [Image ~ 80KB]
From: hughes, b
Date: 25 Sep 2002 18:49:30
Message: <3d923d7a@news.povray.org>
"Timothy R. Cook" <tim### [at] scifi-fantasycom> wrote in message
> I'm guessing the patterns at top and bottom are a turbulent pattern
> of some sort, but what the heck are those things in the middle, and
> how did you do them?

Why Timothy, it's a view from underwater and looking at a far wall of course
:-)
Photon caustics on the golden sandy bottom and reflecting in the water
above. At least I hope I'm right about that.

I suppose the thing about media photons is that they weren't showing within
the water itself for some reason. Maybe using scattering with extinction 0
would help to at least determine if the media is present or not.

I see now, rereading through your message thread at p.a-u. that you already
had media showing correctly. And that Tim Nikias suggested what I just did.

I don't think trying a differencing of iso from box would be of much help,
although I'm not 100% sure. The darkness could be, in part, due to the way
photon caustics blacken shadows. You might want to try a ior of 1 or comment
it out temporarily to see if the refraction is causing trouble. Another
thing to try would be upping the max_trace_level in the global photon block
itself, although I can't imagine why it would need to be for this. There's
usually a answer to be found somehow so don't give up yet. Render at tiny
resolutions, i.e. 80x60, and lessen the photon count or widen spacing to get
faster tests done as you make changes.
--
Farewell,
Bob