POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Wishlist : Re: Wishlist Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:23:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wishlist
From: Shay
Date: 24 Sep 2002 12:15:00
Message: <3d908f84@news.povray.org>
Danni Coy <rgc### [at] midcoastcomau> wrote in message
> Chris Cason wrote:
>
> > FYI ... http://www.povray.org/download/features/wishlist.php
> >
> > -- Chris
>
> My wishes....
> Support for Subdivision Surfaces (Mesh2)

This has already been done with SDL by John VanSickle.
http://enphilistor.users4.50megs.com/sss.htm
I think that this is better than the "one click" subdivision used by Wings
and other programs because the SDL is tweakable. The limitations of
pre-programmed algorithms are the reason that many prefer to model in
Pov-Ray instead of using gui mouse modelers.

With that in mind, I would like to see more data structures introduced into
Pov SDL to allow more readable and straightforward coding of these types of
algorithms.

> Support quad or higher poly surfaces (Mesh2).
> Both of these would conciderably aid in export from other programs.... (In
> my case wings)

I've only messed with Wings a little bit, but I think I remember that the
program will triangulate any model. Really though, since Pov-Ray does not
directly read output like raw or 3DS files anyway, I think that just adding
triangulation to the converters would be best.

 -Shay