POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Photons and Lenses : Re: Photons and Lenses Server Time
14 Aug 2024 18:01:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photons and Lenses
From: TinCanMan
Date: 22 Sep 2002 21:03:36
Message: <3d8e6868$1@news.povray.org>
> > Has anybody tried building a physically accurate camera lens and
> > turning on photons to see what that does for a realistic lens flare?
>
> Someone did this about two years ago I think (it was a long time ago,
> anyway), except instead of photons (which may not have even been around at
> the time), they just used a sphere with a really high ambient value as the
> light source, and I think they gave a very slight coloured tint to the
> lenses. The results were... OK, I guess. Nothing nearly as nice as you'd
get
> with a lensflare include like Chris Colefax's. If you do a seach back in
> this group, you *might* find it, but it was years ago, and I couldn't tell
> you who it was or what it was called...

Perhaps that was me, this a posting I did in Nov 2001
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/19888/
It used a real 35mm camera lens setup with fresnel reflection and an ambient
light source so it is pure specular reflection and doesn`t use photons.  I
think I did this during beta testing of 3.5, but I have retried the image
recently with the final release of 3.5 without success so there must`ve been
some change regarding fresnel reflection in the interim.

-tgq