POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cove II Wip (49 Kb Attachment) : Re: Cove II Wip (49 Kb Attachment) Server Time
14 Aug 2024 17:56:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cove II Wip (49 Kb Attachment)
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 21 Sep 2002 19:29:24
Message: <3d8d00d4@news.povray.org>
Aaron Gillies wrote:
> Folks:
>
> I incorporated a bunch of the changes that people suggested in
> this version.  For example, I attempted to make water marks
> on the base of the rocks and I also was able to make the rocks
> look a little better by rendering an orthographic view of the
> scene from above in grayscale, etc., etc. and then using that
> as the bitmap in the height_field.
>
> I'm not sure if the focal blur looks quite right.  There is still
> something unsatisfying about the scene.  Maybe it's just a little
> boring.

Looks better, but the focal blur IS rather unconvincing.

You might consider making a better sky and turning on radiosity; for a
scene like this, very low quality settings will suffice, although lower
error_bound will help pick out detail in the rock surface better. Set
the radiosity brightness to .2 or so.

Hmm, what else.. a sense of scale is lacking here; since these rocks are
presumably near an island or shoreline, I would expect to see something
growing in dirt that had blown onto the rock, or a bird's nest (or at
least a bird), or something of that sort.

Maybe add or adjust a small, rough normal on the rock surface so it gets
stronger as you go up? I don't live near any large bodies of water with
rocks sticking out of them, but I would expect there to be more erosion
closer to the water.

-Xplo