POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : povray 4.0 list of suggestion : Re: povray 4.0 list of suggestion Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:32:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray 4.0 list of suggestion
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 21 Sep 2002 16:44:19
Message: <3d8cda23@news.povray.org>
In article <web.3d8cccc7c27ead08349ff7400@news.povray.org> , "mike"
<mik### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> Is there a list someplace for ideas and request for version 4.0.
> I would like to request some ideas but not if it is already being discussed.

Honestly, and I don't want to discourage you, such a list would have little
effect on the decision of which features will be added or implemented in a
future version of POV-Ray.  On the one hand the POV-Team is well aware of
existing limitations, so those would be misplaced on the list as either the
limitations will be removed if technically possible with a justifiable
amount of work.  As for general feature requests, i.e. something like
multithreading, those are not much use on the list either, as they are part
of the redesign anyway.  Which leaves long lists of patterns, media sampling
algorithms, antialiasing sampling algorithms and similar things which in
turn do not fit very well on a user feature list as they require precise
descriptions and thus could be implemented already.  Which leaves really
little.  And some item on this list would have roughly the same chance of
being implemented as any other idea...

The main goal of POV-Ray 4.0 is not to add lots of new features, but to
refine all existing features and extend them.  Many things can probably not
even be explained on any kind of list as they are just too complex to go
without a page-long description to avoid misconceptions.  Having a feature
list would essentially only cause frustration of some odd "feature" on the
list is not implemented while there are already a million better ways to do
what is on the list.

In short, such a list, while it may appear otherwise, is most likely of very
limited value for the future development of POV-Ray.

Of course this does not imply that there cannot, are not or will not be new
patches for POV-Ray 3.5 which add interesting features, but don't count on
anybody implementing something just because it is on a suggested feature
list for a future version.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde