POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : A thought for 4.0 : Re: A thought for 4.0 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:35:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A thought for 4.0
From: David McCabe
Date: 19 Sep 2002 11:55:59
Message: <3d89f38f@news.povray.org>

Excuse me. I did not in any way intend to sound rude, arrogent, or whatever.
In fact, I think you've misinterpeted me altogether. Notice the last
paragraph, in which I say, "maybe it's the stupidest thing ever. Anyhoo, I
thought I'd mention it to you who know more than I do.".

By 'real', what I meant was, well, standard, or fully able to do anything,
almost general-purpose at least, as in "PostScript is unreal (you could
write a program in it, but it would be hard)".

The examples are not unfair; that is simply how I always style code in Ruby,
and how I always style code in POV-SDL. In Ruby you have to do stuff to
split things over multipal lines. But I've never seen a lot of POV-SDL code
with everything on one line. No, everybody seems always to space and intend
and stuff.

Anyway, please understand that my attitude is and was in no way negitive
whatsoever.

Warp wrote:

>   I agree with everything Chris Huff said.
>
>   Also, I don't like your tone of voice at all. For example:
>
>> 1. The user gets a real scripting language
>
>   So the POV-Ray does not have a real scripting language. What is it then?
>
>   Then your example is quite unfair:
>
>> add Camera.new 3,5,-10, 0,0,0
>> add PointLightSource.new 30,30,-30, White
>> add Plane.new x, -2, Texture.new( CheckerPigment(Black,Red) )
>> add Sphere.new 0,0,0, 2, Texture.new( ColorPigment(Yellow) )
>> add SkySphere.new( GradientPigment( y, [0=>SkyBlue,1=>Blue] ) )
>> render
>
>> ...rather than:
>

>> camera
>> {
>>         location <3,5,-10>
>>         look_at <0,0,0>
>> }
> [snip]
>
>   First you write one-liners in the proposed language and then you write
> the "equivalent" with pov sdl using a lot of whitespace, indenting and
> putting every item in their own lines. It's like you wanted to trick the
> readers to think that your proposition is a lot more compact and thus
> better, when if fact it isn't.
>
>   And what's all that obsession about using 'new' everywhere? As far as I
> can see, every single 'new' you used in your proposition is obsolete and
> unnecessary.
>   You have probably coded too much in Java.
>
>   Just a tip: When you want to make a suggestion, revise your attitude.

- --
David McCabe
http://12.225.144.95/pgpkey