POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : media density : Re: media density Server Time
4 Sep 2024 18:13:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: media density
From: Tom Melly
Date: 17 Sep 2002 10:14:01
Message: <3d8738a9$1@news.povray.org>
"Christopher James Huff" <chr### [at] maccom> wrote in message
news:chr### [at] netplexaussieorg...

> Density values aren't clipped, but function patterns are. If your
> function goes out of the [0, 1] range it will be clipped, if your color
> values go out of that range nothing unexpected will happen. Scale your
> function values down with a multiplier and increase the color values to
> compensate.

Aha! Thanks for the info.

My solution is/was pretty similiar to your suggestion:

#declare dens_func = function(x,y,z){max( med_fact, pow(x/cont_rad,2) +
pow(z/cont_rad,2) )}

(where cont_rad is the radius of the spherical media container and med_fact is
the lowest value I want used - then all I had to do was increase the intensity
of the media colour and lower med_fact until I got the effect I wanted)