POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : media density : Re: media density Server Time
4 Sep 2024 18:18:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: media density
From: Tom Melly
Date: 17 Sep 2002 09:32:15
Message: <3d872edf$1@news.povray.org>
"Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in message news:3d872c33@news.povray.org...
> Tom Melly <tom### [at] tomandlucouk> wrote:
> > Is density clipped?
>
>   I wouldn't be very surprised if it is.
>   I think POV-Ray clips values to the 0-1 range in some places where it
> really shouldn't (as we can see from the transmit/filter fix, where this
> clipping was removed).

I could be wrong, but I think that I can confirm that it is clipped. At least,
when I rewrite my function to assume it is clipped at 1, everything starts
behaving as I expect....

I don't really have any strong feelings either way about clipping on density,
but, if it is clipped, it would be nice if it was clearly documented.

(well, it would stop me trying to write functions like:
density_function = function(x,y,z){min(1,x*x+z*z)})