POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : [WIP] Media-Clouds : [WIP] Media-Clouds Server Time
14 Aug 2024 18:03:33 EDT (-0400)
  [WIP] Media-Clouds
From: Thies Heidecke
Date: 16 Sep 2002 11:32:28
Message: <3d85f98c@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I worked again on my media-clouds and i think it looks
much better than my last tries...
I mainly tuned the parameters of the medias for atmosphere
and the clouds, such as the density-functions and sampling-
options. Most difficult for me was to get the lighting and
brightness right. In the first tests the images either
suffered from too strong brightness of the clouds which lead
to color-clipping and therefore plain white spots in the clouds
or the image was too dark. I tried to compensate that with kind
of 'LightCompression' which means that i scaled all lights in
the scene down to prevent the clipping and i tried to abuse
assumed gamma to get this compression. Both ideas weren't
too successful though, so i adjusted the density-values once
again. That was the right idea :)
A small part of the image still has some white-clipping but i'll
try to fix this, too.
I plan to improve the shape of the clouds and the atmosphere further
for more realism.
What gives me headaches at the moment is the colouring-aspect.
In nature, the sky color depends on the position of the sun, because
the different wavelengths get scattered differently, but as povray
doesn't simulates this effect i have to fake it somehow...
Perhaps someone has a good idea to achieve this or how to improve
this scene in another way.
Comments and Criticism are always welcome.

Greetings,
Thies

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'CloudTest_v4_800x600.jpg' (48 KB)

Preview of image 'CloudTest_v4_800x600.jpg'
CloudTest_v4_800x600.jpg