POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Portrait of Autumn (3000 oak leaves v.2) : Re: Portrait of Autumn (3000 oak leaves v.2) Server Time
14 Aug 2024 20:27:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Portrait of Autumn (3000 oak leaves v.2)
From: Jim Kress
Date: 13 Sep 2002 23:40:55
Message: <3d82afc7$1@news.povray.org>
The leaves being one sided meshes, it shouldn't be too hard to add a degree
of randomness to their exterior outline (use the random number generator).
The lobes in the leaves should be of varying sizes as well.

As to the size of the leaves, given the scale defined by the sidewalk
segments, the leaves are too small.  Indeed, if we assume the sidewalk is 3
feet wide, the leaves are 0.95 inches long.  The leaves on my oak trees are
at least 4 to 6 inches long.  So, we can see that the leaf sizing in your
image is off by a factor of 5 (or so)

You could keep some as small as they currently are, but the others should be
larger.  In addition, the larger leaves should be slightly curled at the
edge but flatter in the middle.

Jim