POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Portrait of Autumn (3000 oak leaves v.2) : Re: Portrait of Autumn (3000 oak leaves v.2) Server Time
14 Aug 2024 20:16:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Portrait of Autumn (3000 oak leaves v.2)
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 13 Sep 2002 13:23:53
Message: <3d821f29@news.povray.org>
Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:
> Xplo Eristotle wrote:
>

>>I've had a number of people say that. I kinda see what they mean, but
>>since the leaves are pretty accurately shaped, I don't really know
>>what's wrong or how to fix it. I suppose if worst comes to worst, I can
>>wait until the leaves ACTUALLY fall off the oaks here and see what it
>>looks like.
>

>   One of the problems can be that some of the leaves seem to float a bit
> over the terrain, casting confusing shadows. The other is perhaps that the
> leaves thickness seems excessive, I would expect more flat leaves. You
> know, sometimes the archetype is more convincing than the real thing... :)

Being one-sided meshes, the leaves are quite thin. ;) They have a little
bit of warping and curling, but not enough to give them much volume.

As far as the floating.. I'm aware of the problem, but I don't know how
to fix it; the leaves are placed on the terrain with trace() and
shouldn't be sitting at varying heights as they are now.

-Xplo