POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : after "After Vermeer"... : Re: after "After Vermeer"... Server Time
14 Aug 2024 20:20:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: after "After Vermeer"...
From: Ive
Date: 12 Sep 2002 18:32:25
Message: <3d8115f9@news.povray.org>
"Rob Hoopman" <rob### [at] tunanl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3d808f02@news.povray.org...

> I don't recognise the first one, but maybe you should try and google up
> some portraits from Frans (Hals a dutch 17th century painter).
> His style matches the composition/ lighting of the painting, allthough
> that could be said for more contemporary(?) artists.
> If it is in fact not by Frans Hals, you can probably find one that comes
> closer than the one you use now ;-).
>
> Good work so far, I always like the CG remakes of 17 century masters [
> And it gives us dutch folks something to be chauvinist about :-) ]

I have also thought about Frans Hals - and well,  I'm not from the low
lands, but nevertheless I do know some of your famous artists ;-)

> I think the light from the otside should be higher up compared to the
> originals?
> Are you planning to stop at reproducing the 1987 render? I would love to
>   see you take it further and demonstrate how much difference 15 years
> of technological preogress makes.

Hmm, I'm currently working on an "Italian Room" and the main reason
for doing the Vermeer copy  was to have something simple to play with
the radiosity settings for an indoor scene - but also does render fairly fast
(at least for a preview without AA).

But there is a funny detail in the Vermeer painting: the womans face,
as reflected in the mirror does not match to the direction she looks, the
reflected one looks much more to the right. I'm sure this is intended by
Vermeer and I think this could be simulated by the use of the no_image
and no_reflection keywords with POV. To reproduce this should be some
fun and maybe I will give it a try some day.

-Ive