POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : after "After Vermeer"... : Re: after "After Vermeer"... Server Time
14 Aug 2024 20:24:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: after "After Vermeer"...
From: Rob Hoopman
Date: 12 Sep 2002 08:56:34
Message: <3d808f02@news.povray.org>
Ive wrote:
> ...or Jean Baudrillard would have said: "simulation of a simulation"

<snip>

> The paintings on the wall are still a problem. I guessed they where
> both by Rembrandt but it seems that this is only true for the second
> (the bigger one). In the original version this image looks a little size
> distorted (like they have used a wrong aspect ratio for the image
> map) but I think it is the same painting.
> Does anybody recognize the first one?
I don't recognise the first one, but maybe you should try and google up
some portraits from Frans (Hals a dutch 17th century painter).
His style matches the composition/ lighting of the painting, allthough
that could be said for more contemporary(?) artists.
If it is in fact not by Frans Hals, you can probably find one that comes
closer than the one you use now ;-).

I find http://www.kfki.hu/~arthp/ a helpful for pre-19th century art
resource.

> I have simply used another Rembrandt for the moment.
>
> If finally some of  you would like to copy the original Vermeer painting:
> http://www.about-vermeer-art.com/vermeer/vermeer-oil-paintings/paintings/20.
> html
>

> questions, comments?
Good work so far, I always like the CG remakes of 17 century masters [
And it gives us dutch folks something to be chauvinist about :-) ]
I think the light from the otside should be higher up compared to the
originals?
Are you planning to stop at reproducing the 1987 render? I would love to
  see you take it further and demonstrate how much difference 15 years
of technological preogress makes.

Rob