POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : First post (~50 KB) : Re: First post (~50 KB) Server Time
14 Aug 2024 20:18:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: First post (~50 KB)
From: JRG
Date: 9 Sep 2002 20:03:17
Message: <3d7d36c5$1@news.povray.org>
"David El Tom" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just played around with the new version of PoV and this is what came out.
> I know, ..., not really good, but is one of my first tries.
> Everything is simple CSG beside the sheet on the table and the tip of the
> pen (HamaPatch).
> I defined a macro for the jalousie at the window (so that I can define the
> rotation of the elements and the hight in an easy way) and  a second one for
> placing these metal plates inside the glas thingy (don't know the name in
> english). The wooden manequin was done with moray with complet IK setup
> (didn't worked as expected, but still helpfull). The table has an simple
> wooden texture (+some warps) and is covered by a small layer (box) of glass
> to fake the coating.

Very nice first post!

> Photons took 5 hours,

Too much... you may want to change/reduce the settings used and/or add collect off to
some objects...

> rendering additional 26 hours (1GHz, 128MB).

Agh... where does this awful render time come from? Did you use radiosity (if you
did, it doesn't look so)?

> The post
> process was done with HCR (by Ch. Horman, if think).

"I think?" :-) Credit where it's due. Great prog BTW.

> hope you like it and have some suggestions for improvements.

Yes I do like it.
Just lower the ambient to 0 please. The shadowed parts on the sheet look way too
bright.
Instead, try and use a fill light or (better but slower) let radiosity do the work
for you.
The main light is too... white.. add a little bit of yellowish hue. Jaime's lighting
macros would be very useful in this case.
The sheet could use better textures: it looks fake right now, add some wrinkles/dirt
to it.
The black objects look too black: I do use rgb 0 too but with some variable
reflections...

Keep up the good work.

--
Jonathan.