POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Headless nude (0/1) : Re: Headless nude (1/1) Server Time
15 Aug 2024 02:31:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Headless nude (1/1)
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 8 Sep 2002 17:01:01
Message: <3d7bba8d@news.povray.org>

jo6nnughi3ngrjml71a5h1h7mko6b11dfe@4ax.com...
> I eventually did come across a reference to normals in the mesh2
> documentation - but I assumed OBJuvPOV was correctly dealing with
> them. Also, I believe the facetted effect is not so bad if area lights
> are not used - or so it would seem when switching between the 2 types
> when prototyping.

Another possibility is that it's simply the result of both Poser's and
POV-Ray's specific shortcomings with mesh normals. Poser has its usual
problem with joints and POV-Ray may display facets outlines under some
lighting conditions (the explanation is in the docs). I did have some ugly
conversion problems with normals back in 1998 when I first tried early
OBJ -> mesh2 converters, but I think that OBJuvPOV is OK.

BTW, Jeremy Engleman did some experiments about facetted effects on nudes,
if you're interested.
http://art.net/~jeremy/cg/figure5.3.html#img

G.

--