POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : old dog, new tricks.... : Re: old dog, new tricks.... Server Time
14 Aug 2024 20:21:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: old dog, new tricks....
From: Sir Charles W  Shults III
Date: 7 Sep 2002 01:43:29
Message: <3d799201@news.povray.org>
I have to say that this is a very impressive image.  I have some questions
about your dust and damage algorithms.  Source code would be very nice for them.
Her are the areas that impress me most about the image.
    Note area A where there is apparently a small fiber on the card.  This is a
realistic detail that I have observed on many cards, and might be a tiny strand
of wire or a bit of lint fiber off something.  Did you model it as an image map,
a sphere sweep, or a spline?
    In area B I see some small particles of dust.  Nice random placement.  Once
again, is this a macro that puts the dust on it or is it an image map?
    In area C there is static attached dust as many ICs (having epoxy cases)
tend to attract.  Extremely well modeled and placed.  It's of course the small
things that count in making an image photorealistic, and the first indication
that something is CG is often the absolute lack (or artificial appearance of)
real world markings and dirt.  Your dirty algorithms are like the icing on the
cake and would be worth seeing the source code for.
    In area D you have included a very realistic marking that would be produced
by using a tool to pry an integrated circuit out of its socket.  Is this a
surface map that alters the normal of the plastic socket or did you actually
model the dents into the socket itself?
    Waiting for your replies, as I am sure to learn something from your
technique.

Cheers!

Chip Shults
My robotics, space and CGI web page - http://home.cfl.rr.com/aichip