POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 2001 : Re: 2001 Server Time
14 Aug 2024 20:17:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2001
From: Wolfox
Date: 4 Sep 2002 14:32:38
Message: <3d7651c6@news.povray.org>
Timothy R. Cook wrote:
> Wolfox wrote:
>
>> Perhaps Jupiter would be more appropriate for the proposed subject. :-)
>

> It's Earth because I wanted to show off the 21600 x 10800 image map
> of Earth I've got.

Yeah, I noticed the detail (Great Lakes and all). Very good texture indeed.

>> Nice work for a WIP, but some media on the atmosphere and better
>> texturing and lighting would definitely help.
>

> The atmosphere has two parts, a media-filled sphere that's the
> blue glow, and a media-filled sphere with a cloud texture that's
> the clouds, which I heavily altered to make the surface more
> visible.  See comment above.  The Discovery and EVA pod are
> just there to add interest; the real focus I haven't planned
> a design for the overall ship yet.

Yeah, I noticed the use of media, but if you want to get a more
realistic look you'll have to insert some randomness on the media, and
also work on the reflectivity and finish of Earth's surface as seen from
space. As I said, it shows great promise and I'm sure you'll end up with
an outstanding image when it's all ready.

If only I had some links for Earth pictures from orbit...

Regards!