POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : a thought : a thought Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:25:34 EDT (-0400)
  a thought
From: bozo
Date: 4 Sep 2002 09:48:29
Message: <3d760f2d@news.povray.org>
I've just realised, re my post, that if I could insert a piece of code to
disable right click in the exe file, I would have my problems solved also.
That way, when people open the exe file and are in it, if they try to get a
right click context menu they will right click and nothing happens. So does
anyoneknow where I could find a piece of code which I can append or insert
into my exe to do this?  I am able to view the compiled exe in a Hex Viewer,
so perhaps I could paste it in , in the Hex Viewer? Once again,
vag### [at] freedomusacom   - thanks people!

my original post I've pasted below, so you know of my problem:

I want to change a string displayed in an "About" box (not the owner bit,
other bits).  I dont have the program source code, only a compiled exe, and
I've done a simple text search in regedit (just the one under "edit, find"
in XP) which shows the info isn't there (after all, it's not info that's
meant to be changed or is specific to the user).

I know some basic programming asp, vb, c , tp etc  - but I'm a bit ignorant.
Can I somehow search the compiled exe for the text string (if it's in binary
or hex or something) and do a search and replace that way?  I know that the
exe came from code which was a mixture of vb, c and so on.

I noticed and passed by a hex tool on the web - probably can't find it
again.  I don't even know what level most little vb/c standalone programs
are compiled to. I mean, I don't know if it's 0s and 1s, or machine language
or whatever.  Any suggestions?