POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Diamonds - 3 attachments : Re: Diamonds - 3 attachments Server Time
14 Aug 2024 22:16:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Diamonds - 3 attachments
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 3 Sep 2002 23:20:24
Message: <3d757bf8@news.povray.org>
Marc Champagne wrote:
> Xplo Eristotle <xpl### [at] infomagicnet> wrote in
>
>>I'm curious about the settings you used, particularly the
>>max_trace_level and the photons (since in both cases it appears you may
>>not be using high enough values).
>>
>>I would also guess that you may be using too much dispersion, as your
>>render is noticibly more rainbowy than the photo.
>
> global_settings {
>   photons { spacing 0.08 count 5000 }

You need only specify a spacing or a count; they're essentially two
different ways to get the same effect. I don't know offhand what sort of
results spacing .08 would give, but count 5000 is far too low; try half
a million for good results.

>   max_trace_level 60

60 should be plenty. Guess I was wrong about that.

> interior { ior 2.417  dispersion 1.044 dispersion_samples 30 }

I don't know proper values for diamond offhand, but these sound
plausible to me. I guess I was 1 for 3. Still, try increasing the number
of photons (and comment out dispersion for test renders!).

-Xplo