POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : sphere memory : Re: sphere memory Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:34:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sphere memory
From: Niki Estner
Date: 30 Aug 2002 05:53:06
Message: <3d6f4082@news.povray.org>
> > [using a matrix transformation instead of center/radius]
> It would be much slower.
For a sphere, I understand this, but for an ellipsoid? The ray has to be
multiplied with a matrix anyway, the center/radius scale/translate matrix
could be combined with the matrix that's already there (that made an
ellipsoid out of the sphere). Wouldn't that save a vector-subtraction (no
big time saving, but not slower at least)

> IIRC it is done similiar way, but I can be wrong
What's IIRC?

> Buy RAM ? :-)
Guess I'll gonna do that...
But admit it: when you read my problem first, you also thought: 500,000
spheres - no problem with 256MB.