POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : PovUK the cast : Re: PovUK the cast Server Time
15 Aug 2024 04:24:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovUK the cast
From: hughes b
Date: 29 Aug 2002 21:35:53
Message: <3d6ecbf9$1@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:3d6e8575@news.povray.org...

> > >    Bob, why does....   ;)
> >
> > Glad you asked, Steve.
> >
> > Well I just had to know what dibs originates from and what I found is
that
> > it's apparently a contraction of the word dibstones (dib possibly being
> > change of the word dab too); which itself can be pretty meaningless,
until
> > you know it is something from a childrens game like jacks where you
would
> > grab them up in a certain way to win. Dibstones were sheep knucklebones
> > guess (weird huh?), something I've never heard of, but the metal jacks
> > supposedly replaced them. Not positive about it, just gathered that from
> > what I read.
> >
> > When I try to find out what bagsey (or bagsy?) originated from I get
nowhere.

>    Heh, ok, I think I can help out here. It's probably slang originating
from
> 'Lahndon'. Kna what I mean guv?
>    I.e., not rhyming slang but a 'street' word nonetheless. It's a literal
> meaning - 'bags' - " I want to keep it in my BAG", "I covet (want it in my
BAG)" -
> therefore >  - "Bagsy me first".
>
>    As regards 'Dibs' and 'Dabs', I have a feeling that it has something to
do with
> "One potato, two potato, three potato four..." ? (Banana Splits?! ;)  But
I'm
> probably wrong here...

Well, dab is probably best defined as a tap or poke in the context dib is
meant, if I understood the origin correctly.

> <someone please pass this over to OT... I'm too
cream-crackered...Z-z-Z-z-Z-z,
> laterz...>

Okay, I will then. I hadn't been getting that group for a long time, and
just started again a couple days ago as a matter of fact.

So, bagged, in other words. That was too easy so I overlooked that. This is
kind of funny to me, and possibly to other North Americans too, saying bagsy
if it means bag in a roundabout way. If you say dibs no one knows what the
heck a dib is (not expect to anyway). Although it seems the same concept
still, which is to use a nonsensical word rather than clear meaning. Or am I
wrong?