POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 1.5K APPLES - WIP 5 : almost final... (JPEG 95KB) : Re: 1.5K APPLES - WIP 5 : almost final... (JPEG 95KB) Server Time
14 Aug 2024 22:17:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 1.5K APPLES - WIP 5 : almost final... (JPEG 95KB)
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 29 Aug 2002 04:36:50
Message: <3d6ddd21@news.povray.org>
Hi all:

  Many thanks for the good criticism to all:

Bill P.:
>Perhaps a little discoloration of the barrel wood above and below the
>'rusted' barrel rings.

  I don't know what exactly happened to the barrel texture, but there are 4
layers, one of them corresponding to the effect you mention. On the tests
it showed up very well, but the effect has almost dispeared on that
render... but I don't know why!

Xplo:
>The light coming from outside seems awfully cold.

  Ah! You got me... previously it was a fluorescent light, that's why it is
a bit greenish. I forgot to replace it with a sunlight color.

>You might put a couple screws/nails/some kind of fasteners in the window

  Nice suggestion! I was searching for this kind of "little details"...

>The barrel rings definitely don't look like rusted metal to me. I'm

  Good criticism again: will see what I can do.

Daan:
>aren't barrels like that made from +/- 10cm wide (4 inches) wooden strips?

  Hmmm... I really don't know. I've done it without a concrete model, and
only looked at reference pics for the rings placement: I forgot to pay
attention to the strips size. Good detail! I will research a bit...

Aaron:
>Am I right in thinking that the table top uses Christoph's IsoWood include?

  No, it's a heightfield. But the effect achieved it's nearly the same.

>missing with the barrel.  To me, it looks like the surface is a little too
>uniform to truly look like the real thing.

  Yes, the mesh deformation function needs more work to look like real wood
grain. I'm trying different patterns but it's a bit slow to test because I
must generate the mesh at the final resolution each time: the pattern can
look very different at lower triangle counts.

ABX:
>I'm really happy I could help with such great image.

  At least you helped to keep in the barrel, that's sure! :)

>Grandmother with frilly dress ?

  Hmmm... I was thinking only about the frilly dress or apron, as the
grandmother is beyond my povsibilities.

Le Forgeron:
>There is a long tradition among the christian painters to have
>the light above and from the left. As christians invades [...]

  Great explanation... is somewhat scary to think that things you do
unconsciously, are really "guided" by cultural archetypes.

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia
http://www.ignorancia.org