POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bryce and POV true ambience/radiosity showdown : Re: Bryce and POV true ambience/radiosity showdown Server Time
15 Aug 2024 00:12:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bryce and POV true ambience/radiosity showdown
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 26 Aug 2002 13:49:13
Message: <3d6a6a19$1@news.povray.org>
IMBJR wrote:

>>Without the benefit of your scene code, or knowing the "default"
>>radiosity settings you're using offhand, it's impossible to suggest
>>specific problems or improvements, but based on your other image posts I
>>suspect that a poor understanding of POV-Ray on your part is causing you
>>to write scenes that don't imitate your Bryce scenes as well as you
>>think they should.
>
> I think it is more the case that the 2 will prolly never be truely married.
> Of course, some greater understanding will reveal what the unbridgable
> difference is.

I'm not sure how you expect to "marry" POV-Ray and Bryce, considering
that they don't share the same rendering engine, or even the same
rendering method (Bryce being mainly a scanline renderer if I'm not
greatly mistaken), and that they're both using techniques which may not
realistically model physical phenomena (meaning that they're not
necessarily even TRYING to achieve the same thing).

With that said, I think my reproduction of your glass sphere
demonstrates that it's possible (and even easy - most of my time on that
scene was spent moving objects around) to get very similar results to
Bryce if you know what you're doing.

-Xplo