POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bryce and POV true ambience/radiosity showdown : Re: Bryce and POV true ambience/radiosity showdown Server Time
15 Aug 2024 00:16:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bryce and POV true ambience/radiosity showdown
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 26 Aug 2002 02:24:05
Message: <3d69c985@news.povray.org>
IMBJR wrote:

> 4. POV relies on the diffuse element of a texture, whereas Bryce uses the
> ambient element.

This isn't entirely true. In POV, objects with an ambient value will
glow when radiosity is used.

> One can specify in Bryce an ambient colour and an ambient
> level. In POV, one merely specifies an ambient colour.

I suspect this distinction is semantic, as using numbers with higher
values in POV will produce more ambience; essentially, the color is ALSO
the level. You may find it intuitive to multiply your color vectors by a
  value, which will have the effect of strengthening or weakening the
ambience while retaining the same ambient color.

> Conclusion: The Bryce version looks more pleasing but I suspect that there's
> a good reason they call it "true ambience" rather than radiosity. I should
> imagine that with some knowledgeable tweeking in POV, those artifacts could
> be got rid of.

Radiosity tweaking can often produce good results, yes.

Without the benefit of your scene code, or knowing the "default"
radiosity settings you're using offhand, it's impossible to suggest
specific problems or improvements, but based on your other image posts I
suspect that a poor understanding of POV-Ray on your part is causing you
to write scenes that don't imitate your Bryce scenes as well as you
think they should.

-Xplo