POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Glass sphere comparison between Bryce and POV : Re: Glass sphere comparison between Bryce and POV Server Time
15 Aug 2024 00:22:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glass sphere comparison between Bryce and POV
From: IMBJR
Date: 24 Aug 2002 17:52:58
Message: <3d68003a@news.povray.org>
hughes b <omn### [at] charternet> wrote in message
> "IMBJR" <no### [at] spamhere> wrote in message news:3d67ea5f@news.povray.org...
> > I think the anti-aliasing is the clue here. Must learn how to get good
> > results.
> >
> > However, the obvious difference between the 2 might be another clue.
>
> Dang! Clues and more clues. Am I going to be guessing what's what from now
> on! Used to be a image file here was either POV-made or a photo.
>
> Only joking.
>
> Well, I can't figure out why the 2nd image (thing 1) has both antialised
and
> aliased look to the checkered room. The floor looks like no AA, the wall
has
> AA...?? Seems like one of those instances where the color difference
wasn't
> enough for the threshold or something. Anyway, I hate to say it but is
that
> POV there, thing #1? And if so, looks like conserve_energy wan't applied.

Yes. Thing 1 is POV. I'm new to the idea of conserve_energy so I didn't use
it.

The fresnel option was also turned off because it was starting to eliminate
reflections that Bryce keeps. I struggled to get as much reflection as Bryce
has as it is - the lower part of the POV sphere was very reluctant to reveal
too much of the floor.

I ended up using phong instead of specular as specular was too bright; a
phong mark looked far more Bryce-like.

> Have a good question for you. When Bryce is used, is that ray tracing, or
> scanline rendering only?

I've just checked various bits of documentation and I'm now confused.

I understand raytracing to be the projection of rays from the camera into a
scene, which the Bryce documentation implies is what is happening. However,
watching Bryce at work suggests scanline rendering (line-by-line rendering).
But that's what POV is doing too, right? Wrong?

I always understood POV to raytrace as Bryce does, but this scanline
business seems to suggest otherwise.

How strange. I've never given this any thought before and now its got me!