POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Final SteadFast (Big) : Re: Final SteadFast (Big) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 04:56:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Final SteadFast (Big)
From: Alan Kong
Date: 15 Mar 2000 18:23:35
Message: <3d60dsc4vl3u5e519q05e56ddmcll6tdls@4ax.com>
On Wed, 15 Mar 2000 15:07:14 -0600 "Jon S. Berndt" <jsb @ hal - pc .
org> wrote:

>I thought y'all might be interested in the exchange. I was surprised to
>learn they had a solid model, I had thought it was all CG.

  Like ILM, they probably will use the cheapest method possible to get
the shot. If it's cheaper to use a model, they'll use a model. Same goes
for matte paintings - it may be faster and cheaper for a matte artist to
paint a background where there is little camera movement, as opposed to
modeling a CG terrain or cityscape. For television especially, they
operate under a fixed budget and time restraint. Go over-budget and a
series proposal for the future may not get a green light from the
studio.

  Thanks for sharing the exchange with us, Jon.