POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lonleyness- Sinking ship : Re: Lonleyness- Sinking ship Server Time
15 Aug 2024 00:21:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lonleyness- Sinking ship
From: Marc-Hendrik Bremer
Date: 18 Aug 2002 07:58:25
Message: <3d5f8be1@news.povray.org>
"Scottish the pig" <dap### [at] yahoocom> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3D5### [at] yahoocom...
> I've pondered a long time about this one. I've also watched alot of your
> works come about in this newsgroup.
>
> Allow me to show mine off... there are no people in the scene, which is
> supposed to be dreadfully odd, and so it is. I'll take any suggestions
> on how to get this thing out on top. I don't want to come in 60th again
> when August 31st comes around. Any comments would be GREATLY
> appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
> --Scottish the pig

You did a good work modelling the ship, but in my opinion, you have to work
an the sails a bit. They look as if they a infinite thin surfaces, which is
not realistic. In addition their shape doesn't look to realistic.

It's hard to get what you want to achieve by the contrasts in your picture -
the water is quite flat and suggests, that there is no wind - the sails blow
as in a storm. The little boat (Don't they have larger ones on these kinds
of ships? Would take ages to bring all the people on board one by one.) lies
still in the water, but the ship is sinking. For what reason? The sky and
the light does not look stormy. why is the ship breaking? Why is that mast
(correct word?) falling down, if there is no storm?

I can imagine that this contrast is intended, but I think it has to be
stronger to be believable. For now it does not look intended.

The image as is leaves many questions, but I think it's promising. You'll
have to emphasize one think or another, but you did good work so far.

Marc-Hendrik